Security, Availability, Processing Integrity, Confidentiality, and Privacy
Those are the five core principles which should be built into the control structure of any top tier Data Center / Colocation / Hosting facility. Making use of a Data Center with a successfully completed SSAE 16 (SOC 1) or SOC 2 report covering a combination if not all of the principles is integral to ensuring your business applications and data are maintained in an environment that won’t fail you or your customers.
Depending upon the application, service provided, or data retained – your customers and/or organization may be required to use an SSAE 16 Data Center / Host to address compliance concerns.
You will know if your Data Center… :
- Maintains sufficient Data and Power Redundancy
- Maintains appropriate Physical Security Controls (Man Trap, Security Guards, Biometric Scanning, Video Cameras)
- Monitors for excessive Temperature Fluctuations
- Reviews Alerts on a Timely Basis .
- Has proper Fire/Water Detection and Protection
Relying upon a third party for a critical service such as retaining backups, hosting SaaS applications, or, storing client data – using only the highest quality providers is acceptable – A Data Center without proper controls can put your business at significant risk.